Never Say Never, this was a post on my friend Lisa's blog, and now it applies to me. I never thought I would put my kid in a beauty pageant, but the girls at work whittled me down. And even despite the $50 fee which offended me, I still did it. And it was agony! First of all, it started at 7pm, which is Ava's normal bedtime. So I tried to battle her restlessness with snacks and getting her dressed at the last minute. I do not like those frilly pageant dresses so I decided to put her in her Chinese outfit, she'd at least be unique. Being backstage for 20 minutes prior to going on was so rough, finding myself battling to keep her clothes buttoned, hat on, and stop her from picking up dirt, paper or bugs off the floor. Finally we lined up to go out as a group, and then paraded out. I noticed many of the other kids sitting very still and content with their moms. Not Ava, she has a mind and will of her own. I had to flick a bug off the stage before she grabbed it to put it in her mouth. We filed off and then lined up again for individual rounds. When we finally got out Ava turned shy at first, burying her head into my leg, but then we walked around ok. I even saw some smiles on the camera. In any case, who knows what the judges are looking for because despite only 12 kids, 4 runners-up and one winner were chosen along with most photogenic and 3 other categories that you could pay even more to enter ($10 a piece for best hair - I laughed - best eyes and best smile) ----- Ava got NOTHIN'!!! Nada!!!! Nyet!!!! Now, I know all mom's think their kid is the best/cutest, whatever, but hey now -- Ava is gorgeous! Oh, well, live and learn! Either they were predjudiced against Asians or didn't approve of a girl wearin' pants to a pageant! SHOWBIZ IS CUTTHROAT!
I must say (sorry I'm rambling) that despite all this silliness, I had the most supportive husband throughout! He took Rylan on some rides at the fair while we waited, and sat through the whole show! Rylan had fun except a few rides which were dubbed "too much fun" when they were scary!
Enjoy the photos!
3 comments:
Unbelievable. How could they not give her something? She is so adorable!! Wish we had known you were putting her in - would have been there in a heartbeat (or was it when we were in NY?). Thanks for posting these. She gets first place in our book by a LONG shot! Love y'all.
I can't believe you did that Joni! ESPECIALLY since it coincided with bedtime. Never say never is right I guess! :) It's a given that she's a cutie but from the pictures it really looks like she should have gotten Miss Personality - she's totally mugging for the judges in a couple of the pictures. Next time send me the 50 bucks and I'll send her a trophy and a certificate! :)
I'd chalk that up to really stupid judges! She is, hands down, the cutest little girl I've seen in years! Love you, Ava! (I like Lisa's plan for next time --)
Post a Comment